Swaffham museum aims to attract more visitors to rebranded shop after launch tomorrow
Swaffham museum is launching its rebranded shop tomorrow in an effort to tempt town residents to visit it on a regular basis.
The museum fears many people only go to the shop after visiting the museum itself, and wants to make it more of a stand-alone offering.
Renamed Past Presents, it will initially have a 1950s theme, in tune with the diamond jubilee celebrations, but change to an Egyptian style ahead of the 90th anniversary of Howard Carter's discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun in November.
It will offer a range of locally-produced craft items and gifts themed on the museum's display, with a regular turnover of goods.
Kate Francis, of the Iceni partnership, said: 'Because it's in a historic building it does not particularly look like a shop front outside. We have not got direct high street access.
You may also want to watch:
'The museum is not funded from any central government fund – it's run as a charity and the shop provides a really valuable source of income.
'Hopefully it will be a place where they people will think 'Oh, I wonder what's in the museum shop this month, let's have a look'.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 8 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 9 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 10 What happened when The Only Way Is Essex was filmed in Norfolk?
'We have some little shops in Swaffham and we feel we can complement the visitor offer.'
The shop will be open from 10am to 4pm tomorrow, Saturday May 19, and after that during museum hours from 10am to 4pm from Tuesday to Friday and between 10am and 1pm on Saturday.