Suspected bogus callers visit Bodham, Holt and Sheringham
Police are warning householders to be on their guard after three incidents involving suspected rogue traders around Holt and Sheringham yesterday morning, Monday July 18.
In the first, a man claiming to be a builder called at an elderly man's home in Bodham. He asked to come into the house, saying he wanted to knock a wall down, and was shown around. He left when the occupier's granddaughter arrived. The resident wasn't due to have any building work done. The caller is described as white, aged in his late 30s or early 40s, tall and with dark, gelled hair, wearing a blue top and jeans.
In the second incident a man called at the Holt home of an elderly woman, and said he was fixing a roof next door and she needed to pay part of the cost. The woman handed over �120. It is unclear whether the man entered the property.
The final incident saw a man call on an elderly woman in Sheringham and ask for �100. He claimed it was related to a new kitchen that was fitted before Christmas. The resident said she didn't have any money and the male left. He is described as white, of stocky build, with dark hair, in his late 40s and clean shaven, wearing a light coloured shirt.
Police have urged householders to protect themselves by methods including closing and locking the back door before answering the front door, using a spy hole or window to look at a caller before answering the door, speaking through a closed door if you don't recognise the caller, asking for and checking proof of identity and calling the police if you need help.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information on the latest incidents should contact Norfolk police's Operation RADAR team on 0845 4564567 or call Crimstoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car