Superstore scheme nets sports equipment for schoolchildren
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters at a Thorpe St Andrew school have been getting active after a voucher scheme helped net them new sporting gear.
Hillside Avenue Primary School is one of 127 organisations registered to the Active Kids scheme run by Sainsbury's at its Pound Lane store.
Thanks to Sainsbury's customers, the school collected 51,443 Active Kids vouchers last year, which they put towards equipment including hoops, rackets and goal posts.
The scheme is now in its 10th year and customers at the Pound Lane store can now collect vouchers to help registered schools, groups and clubs across the Norwich area receive equipment and experiences.
The scheme has launched seven months ahead of key changes to the national curriculum on cooking and healthy eating, where all pupils between the ages of seven and 14 are to be taught cookery from September.
You may also want to watch:
To support those changes, more than a hundred new cookery and nutrition toolkits have been added to the range of sports and cooking equipment on offered as part of the voucher exchange for schools, Scouts and Guide groups and clubs.
Registered schools, groups and clubs across the Thorpe St Andrew and Norwich area can create their order wishlist online by Friday, February 28, to be one of 32 organisations across the UK in with a chance of winning their wishlist.
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 3 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 4 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 5 Six schools in Norwich area closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 6 Seafront flats plan set for go ahead
- 7 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 8 Six new coronavirus deaths confirmed at Norfolk hospital
- 9 Man jailed for seven years over coercive behaviour which left victim 'shattered'
- 10 Flood alerts in place across Norfolk
Organisations that register their 2014 order online by Wednesday, July 16 and have sent their vouchers and order form by Wednesday, July 18 will be entered into a prize draw, where one organisation will win their order and have it delivered by Active Kids Ambassador Ellie Simmonds.
Sainsbury's Pound Lane customers have until May 20 to collect the vouchers.
Supermarket manager Andy Stewardson said: 'With lots of great incentives this year and a greater focus on healthy eating and nutrition, we hope all of our registered schools, groups and clubs across Norwich have fun collecting over the next few months.'