Suicide bomber died in Manchester terrorist attack at Ariana Grande concert

Armed police next to an ambulance after a suspected terrorist attack at the Manchester Arena at the

Armed police next to an ambulance after a suspected terrorist attack at the Manchester Arena at the end of a concert by US star Ariana Grande left 22 dead. Picture Peter Byrne/PA Wire. - Credit: PA

The man behind last night's terrorist attack at a Manchester Arena pop concert died at the scene, police have confirmed.

Just after 10.30pm, an improvised explosive device was detonated in the foyer of the arena which was hosting a gig by American singer Ariana Grande.

Thousands of teenagers and families were watching the concert and footage shows them running from the scene following the blast.

Speaking this morning, Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins said: 'We are treating this as a terrorist incident. This has been the most horrific incident we have had to face in Greater Manchester and one that we all hoped we would never see.

MORE: 22 dead and 59 injured in terrorist bombing at Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena'Families and many young people were out to enjoy a concert at the Manchester Arena and have lost their lives.

'Our thoughts are with those 22 victims that we now know have died, the 59 people who have been injured and their loved ones.

You may also want to watch:

'We continue to do all we can to support them.'

The police chief confirmed that children were among the people who were killed by the suicide bomber.

MORE: Norfolk and Suffolk police chiefs to review region's terrorism response today after Manchester attack

Most Read

Mr Hopkins said a 'fast-moving investigation' had established the attack was conducted by one man, although detectives are working to establish if he was 'was acting alone or as part of a network'.

He added: 'The attacker, I can confirm, died at the arena. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated, causing this atrocity.'

A police cordon remains around the Manchester Arena and Victoria Train Station.

Mr Hopkins urged people to send in footage to the police as evidence or report suspicious activity by calling 0800 789321.

Anyone worried about a relative at the concert should call 01618569400 or 01618569900.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter