Suffolk victims remembered at memorial for Britons killed in Tunisia terrorist attacks
- Credit: PA
A memorial service held at Westminster Abbey paid tribute to Britons killed in the Tunisia terrorist attacks, including two victims from Suffolk.
Prince Harry laid a wreath at the Innocent Victims Memorial on behalf of his grandmother the Queen as he gathered with survivors and families affected by the two atrocities in 2015.
He also delivered a reading during the central London service, which was conducted by the Dean of Westminster, the Very Reverend Dr John Hall, and attended by David Cameron.
Members of public looked on outside the Abbey as the Prince, wearing a dark blue suit, laid the wreath of white and yellow flowers before rising and bowing his head in a moment of silent reflection.
The circular stone and slate memorial was unveiled by the Queen in 1998 and created to remember victims of war, violence and oppression across the world.
You may also want to watch:
During the service, the Prince and the prime minister both read Bible passages, from Revelations and Isaiah respectively, before the 900-strong congregation.
The Very Reverend Dr Hall said: 'We remember with thanksgiving those whose lives were brutally cut short.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 8 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
'We honour the courage of those who survived and the families of those who suffered.
'We share our grief with victims of attacks from other countries and their families.'
Thirty Britons were among 38 people massacred in the Tunisian resort town of Sousse in June last year – the worst incident of terrorism involving British people since the July 7 attacks in London in 2005.
Gunman Seifeddine Rezgui targeted holidaymakers on the beach and in a hotel before being shot dead by security forces. Terror group Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility.
Among those killed was Stuart Cullen, 52, from Lowestoft, who was described shortly after his death as a 'dad, husband, best friend and soulmate' by his family.
And Allison Heathcote, from Felixstowe, was enjoying her 30th wedding anniversary with husband Philip in the Tunisian resort town of Sousse in June last year when 30 British nationals – including her husband – were killed in a beach massacre.
She was due to attend the memorial service, a family member said.
The congregation sung the Lord's Prayer and the National Anthem to draw the memorial to a close.