Suffolk publican flees fire
- Credit: Archant
A pub landlord and his family fled to safety early today after a blaze threatened to engulf their home.
The fire, at the rear of The Three Mariners, Trimley St Mary, near Felixstowe, started with an explosion in historic barn outbuildings and spread to a car parked alongside the pub.
Locals raised the alarm and one nearby resident tried to save pets believed to have been housed in the buildings but was beaten back flames.
Two Suffolk fire crews from Felixstowe attended the grade 2 listed pub and put out the flames although the building was destroyed.
Landlord and landlady Dave and Debbie Atkinson were woken by a loud bang as the fire took hold and evacuated their children.
You may also want to watch:
Extent of damage to the pub isn't yet known. Cause of the explosion is being looked in to although it may have been based on a canister.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 6 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 7 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 8 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 9 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 10 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction