Striking images show Lakenheath fighter jet spitting flames
- Credit: Matt Smart
A fighter jet was pictured spitting flames after taking off from one of the region's RAF bases.
Striking pictures taken by aviation photographer, Matt Smart, show sparks flying from the rear of the F-15 after it took to the skies from RAF Lakenheath.
The aircraft, which belongs to the 48th Fighter Wing (48 FW), was said to have suffered an issue soon after take-off on Tuesday (July 13) morning.
It subsequently returned to base and landed safely.
Lakenheath has been home to 48 FW since 1960, having already been used by the Royal Air Force during the Second World War as a heavy bomber base.
You may also want to watch:
Today it is the only F-15 wing based in Europe, and carries out missions using the F-15C/D Eagle and the F-15E Strike Eagle.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed