Strictly Come Dancing 2016: Norwich City Chairman Ed Balls tells viewers - ‘I’d be cashing out now’
- Credit: PA
Many thought he would be out in the first week but Ed Balls has defied expectations on Strictly Come Dancing with some now claiming he could now win the glitterball trophy.
But the Norwich City chairman has told viewers who have backed him to win at the bookies to cash out now.
The 49-year-old was a 100/1 outsider to win the competition when it first started but his odds have now been slashed to 50/1 with even one of his biggest critics, Craig Revel Horwood stating he could go all the way.
There have also been similar claims from professional dancer Brendan Cole and Strictly alumni Jeremy Vine.
The former shadow chancellor said: 'I wouldn't bet on myself but if I had put money on myself at 100/1 I'd be cashing out now.
'The longer the show goes on the more people focus on quality. If there's one thing I'm not delivering right now, it's quality dancing.
'I've been the favourite to go out each week – clearly that was wrong! But jumping from that to winning, I'd punt on something else.'
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 4 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 5 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 6 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 7 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 8 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 9 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 10 Toddler died after getting trapped between stair gates
This week Mr Balls and his partner Katya Jones will be performing a salsa to the 2012 dance hit Gangnam Style.
And if they impress the judges and the viewers at home they will get the chance to dance at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom.
The song and its famous dance moves are something that he is very familiar with after he and his wife, Yvette Cooper, pulled out the routine at the Labour Party conference in 2014.
• Do you think Ed Balls can win Strictly Come Dancing? Let us know by voting in our poll.