Stars of Doctor Who and Downton Abbey to star in lost episodes of Dad’s Army
- Credit: Archant
It is an enduring comedy favourite whose charm has never faded - no matter how often the episodes are repeated.
But fans of Dad's Army who yearn for even more of the would-be warriors of Walmington-on-Sea are in luck.
For a galaxy of 21st century stars are set to bring back three lost episodes of the sitcom, all of which were originally filmed in the STANTA Training Grounds near Thetford.
Stars of Downton Abbey, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Doctor Who will be taking the lead roles in the reboots, which will air on satellite channel Gold later this year.
Bernard Cribbins (Doctor Who), Kevin R. McNally (Pirates of the Caribbean), Robert Bathurst (Cold Feet, Downton Abbey) and Mathew Horne (Gavin and Stacey) will star in UKTV's Dad's Army: The Lost Episodes.
You may also want to watch:
However, the show will not be returning to the county for the filming of the episodes.
The episodes were broadcast 50 years ago as part of the second series of Dad's Army, but then disappeared from the archives.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 10 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
Mr McNally will be leading the platoon as Captain Mainwaring, with Mr Bathurst as Sergeant Wilson and Mr Cribbins playing Private Godfrey.
Mr McNally said: 'Now look here men, HQ tells me that three episodes of Dad's Army have gone missing. And it has fallen to us to step in and replace them.
'I have been asked to double for Captain Mainwaring and daunting as that may be, I accept the responsibility and look forward to leading the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard in three last pushes against the Jerries. I hope you'll join us and enjoy the ride.'
Mr Bathurst said he hoped the new versions of the episodes would honour the work of writers Jimmy Perry and David Croft.
He said: 'I hope we can honour Croft and Perry's lost episodes. It's a celebration of their writing, with understudies.'
And for Mr Cribbins it is a return to camouflage more than 70 years after he volunteered for the Parachute Regiment in 1947 after being called up for national service.
Mathew Horne will play Private Walker, Kevin Eldon Lance Corporal Jones, David Hayman will play Private Frazer, and Tom Rosenthal will play Pike.
The three episodes are called The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Walker, A Stripe for Frazer, and Under Fire.