Sporting events hoped to boost Yarmouth charity’s appeal
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
A cycling marathon with a royal flavour is giving a major £5m charity appeal an early boost.
Centre 81 at Great Yarmouth has just launched its vision for a rebuild of its facilities which provide a skills and activities centre for members with a range of disabilities and a base for a busy community transport scheme.
Caister care home Claremont House and Lodge will saddle up as one of the first fundraisers for the £5m appeal on the weekend of the Queen's 90th birthday celebrations.
And a businessman supporter of Centre 81 is re-staging a charity golf day which previously raised £7,000 for the cause, as the community begins to respond to the charity's plea for help towards its target.
The Caister event is a 24-hour bikeathon during Saturday and Sunday June 11-12 as part of Claremont House's events celebrating the Queen's 90th birthday.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Everard of construction company Ovamill previously helped the Centre during his year as captain of Gorleston Golf Club.
Friend Joseph Smith is a member at the Centre and Mr Everard is keen to help the Centre with its appeal, adding: 'They provide a marvellous service and it is important for them to have state-of-the-art facilities.'
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 10 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
The Ovamill Centre 81 Charity Golf day will be on August 9 with 20 four-person teams tackling 18 holes and enjoying a trick shot demonstration by Dave Edwards at Gorleston Golf Club. Anyone wanting to enter should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01502 470037 by the July 30 entry deadline.
Centre 81's appeal seeks to replace a range of aging second-hand buildings at its Tar Works Road base with a modern purpose-built complex including a community café with roof top terrace providing river views. Funding will be a combination of grant applications and community fundraising.