Spixworth couple’s warning over antifreeze after cats poisoned

Bill and Ted were poisoned in Spixworth. Picture RSPCA.

Bill and Ted were poisoned in Spixworth. Picture RSPCA. - Credit: Archant

A heartbroken couple are today warning of the dangers of antifreeze after they were forced to put down two pet cats after they were poisoned.

Georgina Angel and Matthew Clarkson. Pic: Submitted.

Georgina Angel and Matthew Clarkson. Pic: Submitted. - Credit: Archant

The cats, Bill and Ted, who were both two, showed signs of lethargy and unsteadiness on their feet after being found at their Spixworth home. But despite being rushed to the vets by their worried owners, Georgina Angel and Matthew Clarkson, there was nothing that could be done to save them. Both cats had to be put down by vets who confirmed it was antifreeze which had poisoned them.

The RSPCA have launched an appeal for information from the public about the incident which has prompted the cat's owners, from William Peck Road, to issue a warning about the dangers of antifreeze.

Miss Angel, 31, said: 'It was heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking. They were inseparable. It makes it worrying because we've got another cat and don't want him to do the same thing.

'We think, or would like to think it's just an accident.

'It could be someone doing it but if there was someone doing it and putting it out then there would've been more cats affected - I think more than likely it's just a terrible accident.

'It would be nice to have answers, I don't think we will but it's just letting people know...to warn people about antifreeze. The main thing is we don't want it to happen again because it's horrible.'

Most Read

Miss Angel, an assistant manager at Fairhaven Woodland and Water Garden, said she had no idea antifreeze could have that affect and urged people to ensure that it was kept out the way of cats and other animals and that any spillages were cleared up.

She said the couple, who have another cat Phil, nine, and a dog, Lily, had been knocking on doors to warn neighbours since the incident happened last week.

Bill was the first of the siblings, named after the lead characters in the 1989 film Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, to succumb after becoming unwell last Thursday evening.

Mr Clarkson, 31, said: 'Our dog rushed to Bill to make a fuss of him, which doesn't usually happen, and then we noticed he was really unbalanced on his feet, so we rushed him to the on-call vet. They started running numerous tests and we were there until 2am, waiting to hear.

'After keeping Bill in overnight, the vets told us that the blood tests had shown antifreeze in his system, and the kindest thing was to put him to sleep, as his kidneys were so badly damaged. We were completely devastated.'

When the couple returned home from the vets to bury Bill, they noticed that poor Ted was showing the same signs so he too was rushed to the vets but he too had to be put to sleep.

RSPCA chief inspector Kat Parfitt said: 'Worryingly, poisoning is not uncommon and cats are naturally inquisitive, so it's possible this poor cat had consumed something poisonous by accident.

However, we cannot rule out the possibility that this could have been a deliberate act of cruelty, so if anybody has any information I would ask them to call me in complete confidence on 0300 123 8018, where they can leave me a message.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter