Special service for Hunstanton’s new-look war memorial
Plans are being made to rededicate Hunstanton's war memorial which has had a facelift thanks to the generosity of a family in the town.
The memorial, in the Esplanade Gardens, has been completely cleaned with a new garden area surrounding it.
The funds to pay for the improvements came from the family of the late Mrs Jean Huggett, who died in September last year, and her family will be holding a service of dedication on April 20.
Her daughter Gwen Dennard said Mrs Huggett had loved the town and was very proud of all the Armed Forces.
'She wanted somewhere lovely for their families,' she said.
Work on the memorial has included a garden area, new seating and re-landscaping as well as cleaning the stone itself.
Hunstanton Town Council and the Royal British Legion are planning a public dedication service at the memorial in May.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 3 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 4 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 5 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 6 Norwich man in court over £3.5m whiskey theft
- 7 'Mishap' at historic hotel as van crashes into entrance wall
- 8 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 9 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 10 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
A wrongly-sized version of this picture appeared in today's EDP thanks to gremlins in our production system.