Special programmes and rare footage to mark centenary of Lowestoft-raised and Holt-educated musical genius Benjamin Britten
BOSSES at the BBC have announced a year of dedicated programmes to mark the centenary of one of the country's greatest composers.
Benjamin Britten, the most noted British composer of the 20th century, was born on November 22, 1913 at 21 Kirkley Cliff Road in Lowestoft, which is now a hostelry named Britten House.
The Suffolk born composer was schooled at Greshams in Holt, often performed in Norwich and lived largely in at the Red House in Aldeburgh,
Next year he would have been 100-years-old - and to mark the anniversary, the Britten-Pears Foundation has revealed a series of events, while the Royal Mint plans to design a new 50p coin.
The BBC is also planning a year of dedicated coverage across the network. There will be new musical commissions, a partnership with Aldeburgh Music, performances by the BBC Performing Groups and programmes exploring Britten's life and work.
You may also want to watch:
Every Britten opera will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 throughout 2013, while shows will also explore themes including Britten and the community and his relationship as a composer of children's music.
Radio 3 will broadcast live from Aldeburgh in November 2013 for a weekend of programming beginning on the actual centenary of Britten's birth. It will include live and specially recorded performances from Aldeburgh, Snape, Orford and Lowestoft.
- 1 Water outages hit homes across city
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 4 People released from car after crash closes road
- 5 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 6 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients
- 7 Landlady warns community pubs are being 'crucified' by new measures
- 8 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 9 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 10 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
BBC Four will also be showing archive recordings, classic documentaries, rare interviews and performances. The BBC Singers will perform in Blythburgh Church over Britten's birthday weekend.
The 2013 BBC Proms will also be marking the centenary.
? Visit www.britten100.org for more details.