‘Great sadness’ as town’s Christmas lights switch-on is cancelled
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of a popular festive event have taken the “difficult decision” to cancel its Christmas lights switch-on spectacular amid the continuing coronavirus crisis.
The Southwold Christmas Lights Management Committee admitted it was “with great sadness” that this year’s lights switch-on, which was scheduled for Saturday, November 28, has been cancelled.
A spokesman for the Southwold Christmas Lights Management Committee said: “We have been holding off making this difficult decision until the last possible moment hoping that matters might improve but during the last couple of weeks it appears to be getting slightly worse again.
“It therefore leaves us no choice but to cancel due to the restrictions on social gatherings as the safety of our residents and visitors are of paramount importance.
“However we will still be lighting the town up during December as usual to try and bring some much needed festive cheer to everyone during these very difficult times.
You may also want to watch:
“We would also like to take this opportunity to thank our main sponsors Adnams plc and the Town Council, who are both having their own COVID-19 challenges at the moment, for their continued support and we look forward to planning a bigger and better event in 2021.”
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 4 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 5 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 6 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 7 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 8 Man seriously injured after crash
- 9 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 10 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid