South Norfolk Council’s Pub of the Year competition winner announced
- Credit: Archant
A Beccles pub has been named as the best in the area after seeing off fiercy competition, just a year after reopening.
The White Lion, in Wheatacre, was named Pub of the Year in South Norfolk Council's competition, earning £500 to put towards a community event.
Landlord Jay Meades, who had never ran a pub before, reopened the rural pub last November and, since then, has seen customers travelling for miles to sample the food and atmosphere.
He said: 'This is just fantastic news and I would like to thank my whole team and all of the customers who nominated us.
'I was working off shore as an electrical engineer, but was also running an events company that catered for weddings.
'I had always had a soft spot for the pub and could see the place had huge potential.
'We have something for everyone, whether you are fresh from a dog walk with muddy boots and looking for a bite to eat in the bar by the fire, or would like an intimate meal in our restaurant.'
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 4 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 5 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 6 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 9 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 10 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
South Norfolk councillor Keith Kiddie praised the pub for their efforts in their first few months.
He said: 'Thank you to everyone who voted in the competition. It just goes to show how much people value their local pub.
'We had some excellent category winners and it was a tough decision but, in the end, we were so impressed by how far the White Lion had come in just a year since it opened.
'Huge congratulations to landlord Jay Meades. His dedication and determination have resulted in a wonderful pub that can be enjoyed by the whole community.'
Nearly 1,000 people voted in the competition, which is now into its tenth year.
As well as the pub of the year award, the pub was also handed an award for offering the best customer service.
The announcement was made on Monday at a special early morning award ceremony held at last year's winning pub, The Green Dragon in Wymondham.
The pub was also celebrating again after winning the Tastiest Food and Drink category.
Other winnings include The Burston Crown for outstanding community focus, and Netherton House, in Long Stratton, for being the most family friendly.