Socks and Sandals - this year’s summer trend
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
With reports from high street store Debenhams showing a 68% increase in the sales of socks and sandals this year, the much-ridiculed look could be a popular fashion choice.
Could Sad Dad style be the new fashion trend this summer?
It is a fashion trend that has been bubbling along since 2009 when style icon Fearne Cotton was spotted outside the Radio One studios wearing ankle socks with high-heeled sandals. Last summer international designers such as Balenciaga, Prada and Yves Saint Laurent showcased the look for men and women on catwalk, and the look for wearing socks with shoes and ankle grazing trousers or short dresses was a trend seen in the autumn and winter collections from the high street.
You may also want to watch:
Now the celebrity style pack has caught on, with Sarah Jessica Parker and Bruce Willis recently spotted out and about sporting sandals with ankle socks.
Independent Norwich menswear boutique Sevenwolves on Exchange Street gives the look a firm thumbs down, as does stylist Chrissi Rix from Norfolk's style road show, The Style Show.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 5 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
She says: 'There's no excuse for socks with sandals. A boat shoe for men or a pump for women needn't be worn with socks and both are perfect, and comfortable, for the summer.'
Lucy Hurrell, personal stylist at Jarrold said: 'For women, white ankle socks with a frill worn with a chunky wedge or jelly sandal, worn with a high waisted A-line skirt and crop top or boyfriend cut jeans and a bright coloured vest is a great look this summer.
'Men should wear bright socks pulled up with brogues and tailored shorts and top.'
Andrea Ferguson, menswear adviser at John Lewis Norwich, said: 'To pull the sock and shoe look off, men should go for statement socks in bright colours teamed with brogues or deck shoes.'
But what do you think?
Naomi Smith, 21 from Long Sutton: 'No I wouldn't wear them, however I may of done when I was little. I think they look silly.'
Younger sister, Carly Smith, 18 also from Long Sutton said:
'I would definitely not wear them, I don't even like to see them on men. I may have worn them as a kid but I would never now wear them.'
Edward Cottington, 21, from King's Lynn said: 'No I would never wear them. The whole point of sandals is to keep your feet fresh. Although I have seen some girls in London wearing them.'
Robin Baldwin, 66, from Hunstanton said: 'I wear sandals but never with socks, well not that I can remember anyway. Sandals are good but not with socks.'