Patients moved from ward after ‘smell of smoke’ sparks fire fears
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Patients had to be moved from their wards after a burning smell prompted fears of a fire at a hospital during the early hours of the morning.
Firefighters received reports of a smell of smoke at James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston at 2.18am.
Crews from Gorleston, Yarmouth and Lowestoft responded to the call, but the situation had already been dealt with by the time they had arrived.
A hospital spokesman said: 'In the early hours of this morning staff became aware of smell that could be something burning in a bay on a ward.
'As is standard procedure, the fire service were alerted and as a precaution a small number of patients were moved from the bay.
You may also want to watch:
'The source of the smell was identified and was dealt with by our staff and the patients were returned to the bay.'
A Suffolk Fire and Rescue spokesman said: 'We received reports of a smell of smoke at James Paget Hospital but on arrival there was nothing, so crews were released almost immediately.'
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 5 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
All crews were stood down just before 3am.