Six food trends set to take off in summer 2017
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
With warmer weather (hopefully) here to stay, tuck into these six top food trends set to make it big this summer.
1. Savoury yoghurt
The idea of tucking into veggie flavoured yoghurt might not sound that appealing, but flavours such as beetroot, avocado and mint and carrot and parsley have now become a 'thing'.
The potential of your Greek yoghurt is huge, so get creative with a savoury twist. Dollop your dips on to salads, use in sandwiches and burgers instead of mayonnaise or spread onto a tasty slice of rye bread.
2. Bunless burgers
The reign of the brioche bun is finally over, with your favourite meats now being served straight from the BBQ to the bowl.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 3 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 4 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 5 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 6 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 9 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 10 Royal estate closes winter light trail due to bad weather
Fancy mixing it up a little? Burger lovers are set to be seen swapping their beloved baps for grilled vegetables or the even quirkier alternative of dome-shaped sushi rice buns.
Perfect for feasting on, with this Mexican dish you can cook up a selection of fillings and sides and create a feast that will be sure to keep all your guests happy.
Fitting with another mini for trend for the summer of 'zero food waste', fill your tacos with fridge leftovers for a dish with a tasty difference.
4. Pickles and ferments
Step aside gherkins, there's a new pickle in town. Pickled and fermented vegetables are set to be one of the best ways to add vibrancy to any meal.
Follow the Mexican wave and pickle some sliced jalapeños, or try pickling some strawberries to have with goat's cheese and crackers. Good for the gut and delicious to boot.
This is the trend that just keeps on giving. It started with coconut water, then coconut oil and now...? Well you name it, it's being done. Think chips, butter and, with an Asian influence, even coconut jam.
It's hard to imagine summer without lots of refreshing citrus and tropical flavours, so be prepared to see desserts loaded with coconut too.
6. Edible flowers
Make your meals both tasty and eye-catching, with the trend that's prettier than all of the above. Edible flowers aren't a new idea, but they're enjoying something of a revival for sure. With it being said that we 'eat with our eyes', we can see why this trend is likely to become such a hit.
Decorate your desserts with nasturtium or rose petals, add colourful marigolds to summer salads or try incorporating the sweet flavour of chamomile flowers into homemade whipped cream.