Six arrests in prostitution clampdown
Six people have been arrested as part of a police campaign to clampdown on prostitution and reassure residents in Norwich city centre.
Six people have been arrested as part of a police campaign to clampdown on prostitution in Norwich city centre.
The arrests were made during two police operations last week run by officers from the Lakenham and Tuckswood community policing team. The operations follow public meetings after members of the public raised concerns.
Sgt Graham Dalton, who leads the team, said: "We know that local people are becoming increasingly concerned and irritated by the anti-social behaviour related to prostitution in certain areas of the city.
"I hope this goes some way towards reassuring local people that we are listening to their concerns and we are taking appropriate action."
A 40-year-old man from the Attleborough area and a 54-year-old man from the Holt area were arrested on suspicion of kerb crawling. Both were questioned and given official police cautions.
A 28-year-old woman was arrested twice - on both occasions in Lower Clarence Road. She was charged with two offences of loitering for the purposes of prostitution.
- 1 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 2 7 pubs up for sale or rent in Norfolk
- 3 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 4 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 5 'I can't stop Western Link work starting in my woodland'
- 6 Jailed this week: County lines gang and man found with cocaine in his car
- 7 Man accused of murder refuses to appear in court
- 8 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 9 Six beaches in Norfolk awarded Blue Flag status for 2022
- 10 One in four patients ignored health conditions after failing to see GP
A 21-year-old Norwich woman arrested in Rosary Road has been charged with loitering for the purposes of prostitution and breach of her ASBO. A 30-year-old Norwich woman was arrested twice, in City Road and in Ninham Street. She has been charged with two offences of loitering. A 36-year-old Norwich woman arrested in Rouen Road has been charged with loitering and breach of her ASBO.
Insp Nick Cheshire, who oversees operational policing in Norwich city centre and in the Tuckswood and Lakenham area, said: "The anti-social behaviour connected with prostitution does impact upon local people and undoubtedly affects their quality of life.
"We are taking tough action to prevent this but we are also doing everything possible to assist the women involved to find a way out of this lifestyle."