King’s Lynn photographer Si Barber captures life in East Anglia before and after Brexit vote
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland artist is celebrating National Democracy Week with an exhibition of pictures in London.
Photographer Si Barber, from King's Lynn, is one of the participants in the Civil Times exhibition, which starts on Sunday, July 8 and includes the work of artists in different mediums from across the UK.
The photographs are from his work Tigerland which documents the lives of people living around East Anglia and the Fens in the run up to and after the Brexit vote.
'The peoples of East Anglia and the Fens are well known for their argumentative ways from Hereward the Wake who resisted the Norman invasion, to Thomas Paine and the Boston Pilgrims who founded modern America, and Oliver Cromwell who asserted the primacy of democracy,' he said.
'The Fen Tigers have had cause to remind parliaments and kings that they ultimately govern by the consent of the people.
You may also want to watch:
'No surprise then, when in 2016 the area became the crucible for Brexit with some areas recording over a 70pc vote for leaving the EU. 'My picures looks at daily life beyond the soundbite in the place which William the Conqueror referred to as 'that most disputatious part of England.'
Photographs featured in the show are from locations including Great Yarmouth, Hunstanton, St Germans, King's Lynn and Southery.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
Other artists showing are Michael Lightfoot, David Bannister, Jan Bowman and Henry Jones.
The exhibition rund until July 31 at The Troubadour, 263-267 Old Brompton Rd, Earl's Court, London SW5 9JA.