Shoppers in Sainsbury Great Yarmouth can connect over drinks and nibbles as events take place across the UK in memory of murdered MP Jo Cox
- Credit: PA
Sainsbury's in Great Yarmouth is hosting an event in support of this weekend's Great Get Together events in memory of murdered MP Jo Cox.
Created to encourage communities to get to know each other and to embrace their similarities as well as their differences, Saturday's event aims to help shoppers to slow down and take a break from their busy lives to get to know their neighbours.
Helped by drinks and nibbles the drop-in event runs from 10-4pm.
Customers will have the opportunity to take a 'selfie' with friends, family or neighbours which they can share on social media using #GreatGetTogether.
There will also be a message board in the store where shoppers can share stories of their favourite thing about their community.
You may also want to watch:
The Great Get Together is a weekend of community celebration taking place across the UK.
It was set up by the Jo Cox Foundation to mark the first anniversary of the MP's murder and is inspired by her maiden speech to parliament where she discussed themes of togetherness.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
Jo Richardson store manager at Sainsbury's Great Yarmouth, said: 'We're really proud to play our part in this nationwide event by bringing people together from the Great Yarmouth area and encouraging our customers to join the community spirit.
Thousands of people will come together across the country from local communities, neighbourhoods, schools and businesses to celebrate by holding street parties, sporting events, picnics and much more.
Great Yarmouth Library is also holding a Great Get Together on Saturday 10.30am to 12noon.
Jo Cox was killed by a far right fanatic a year ago.