Shoppers in Sainsbury Great Yarmouth can connect over drinks and nibbles as events take place across the UK in memory of murdered MP Jo Cox
- Credit: PA
Sainsbury's in Great Yarmouth is hosting an event in support of this weekend's Great Get Together events in memory of murdered MP Jo Cox.
Created to encourage communities to get to know each other and to embrace their similarities as well as their differences, Saturday's event aims to help shoppers to slow down and take a break from their busy lives to get to know their neighbours.
Helped by drinks and nibbles the drop-in event runs from 10-4pm.
Customers will have the opportunity to take a 'selfie' with friends, family or neighbours which they can share on social media using #GreatGetTogether.
There will also be a message board in the store where shoppers can share stories of their favourite thing about their community.
The Great Get Together is a weekend of community celebration taking place across the UK.
It was set up by the Jo Cox Foundation to mark the first anniversary of the MP's murder and is inspired by her maiden speech to parliament where she discussed themes of togetherness.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 3 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 4 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 5 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 6 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 7 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 8 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 9 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 10 Fire fears over huge battery storage plants for wind farm
Jo Richardson store manager at Sainsbury's Great Yarmouth, said: 'We're really proud to play our part in this nationwide event by bringing people together from the Great Yarmouth area and encouraging our customers to join the community spirit.
Thousands of people will come together across the country from local communities, neighbourhoods, schools and businesses to celebrate by holding street parties, sporting events, picnics and much more.
Great Yarmouth Library is also holding a Great Get Together on Saturday 10.30am to 12noon.
Jo Cox was killed by a far right fanatic a year ago.