Morrisons murder trial: Shopper told how he tried to save the life of man attacked in Wymondham supermarket

Nick Rogers, who died at Morrisons in Wymondham. Picture: Facebook

Nick Rogers, who died at Morrisons in Wymondham. Picture: Facebook - Credit: Archant

A shopper told a jury how he attempted to break-up a fight in Morrisons supermarket and then desperately tried to keep alive a young man who was lying badly injured on the floor.

Nick Rogers, was assaulted by Lee Monk, 20, and his uncle John Monk, 44, after the three met while shopping in the store in Wymondham, shortly after 7.30pm on July 17, a court heard. Mr Rogers died in hospital the following day, aged 26.

Both Lee Monk, of Silfield Road, Wymondham, and John Monk, of Albini Way, Wymondham, have denied murder.

They also both deny assault occasioning actual bodily harm to Leo Wardrop, who was a friend of Mr Rogers.

Giving evidence, at Norwich Crown Court, Ian Rose told how he had been shopping in the store with his wife, when they heard raised voices.

You may also want to watch:

His wife stayed with the trolley and he approached the two young men, who were involved in a scuffle near the till area.

He said he raised his hands and said 'Not in here.'

Most Read

Mr Rose said they did not take any notice but then another older man had walked past him and said something like 'let's do this.'

He said he then saw the older man throw a punch to the right side of the head of one of the men.

Mr Rose said that the man had fallen to the floor and he had then witnessed another scuffle taking place near the flower display.

He then returned to the give first aid to the injured man lying on the floor and had tried to resuscitate him until a paramedic arrived, by giving him chest compressions.

He told the court: 'My thoughts were on what to do to keep him alive. I was just trying to keep him alive.'

He said he later heard from media reports that the young man had died.

Cross-examined by Andrew Thompson, for John Monk, it was put to him that he had not heard properly what was said and John Monk had in fact said 'Let's do this outside.'

Mr Rose said that he did not hear the word outside and said: 'I am sure I heard 'let's do it'.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter