Shirley Ballas named as new head judge on Strictly Come Dancing
- Credit: PA
Shirley Ballas has been confirmed as the new head judge on Strictly Come Dancing.
The British-born Latin and ballroom dancer will be filling the gap left by Len Goodman, who stepped down from the role in 2016 after 12 years.
Nicknamed the Queen of Latin, Ballas is a former International Latin American Champion.
After retiring from competitive dancing in 1996, Ballas is now an acclaimed international coach to professional and amateur dancers and is a renowned adjudicator for Ballroom and Latin American competitions around the world.
Ballas will join existing judges Darcey Bussell, Craig Revel Horwood and Bruno Tonioli on the line-up off the popular BBC1 dancing programme.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'I am so excited and over the moon to have been given this wonderful opportunity.
'I can't wait to get in to the ballroom and be part of the incredible and respected judging panel.
- 1 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 4 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 5 Week's worth of fuel gone in hours at village filling station
- 6 Nine ways to make your fuel last and avoid joining petrol station queues
- 7 Why are there queues for petrol - and do you really need to fill up?
- 8 NASA rocket spotted over Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk Broads' village in £150,000 bid to buy land at auction
- 10 Fuel shortages are on those who panicked - don't just blame the media
'Strictly is so loved by the British public, I have always been a massive fan. I just can't wait!'
Bussell said she looks forward to meeting Shirley and 'welcoming her to our Strictly team'.
She added: 'Her years of experience in Ballroom and Latin dancing are impressive and I'm sure she will be a great addition to our judging panel.'
Tonioli said: 'I know Shirley well - she is an incredible Latin dancer and trainer and I am sure she will be a great addition to the Strictly team.'
Revel Horwood added Ballas' appointment into the Strictly family is 'fantastic news'.
Charlotte Moore, director of BBC Content, said: 'Len's are big shoes to fill, but the Queen of Latin is the ideal new Strictly judge.
'Shirley Ballas is a British ballroom expert whose credentials speak for themselves; she's going to be a fabulous addition to the best judging panel in showbiz!'
• Strictly returns this autumn on BBC1 for its 15th series.