Sheringham medical practice presented with carnival prize in memory of former chairman
- Credit: Archant
Staff at Sheringham Medical Practice are celebrating, after receiving an award for the 1950s-style, rock and roll-themed float they entered into this year's carnival.
More than 30 doctors, nurses, health care assistants and receptionists took part in the annual event, dressing as rock and rollers and dancing behind a truck decked out as an American diner.
Carnival stalwart Jill White this week presented the practice with the Spirit of Carnival shield in memory of her late first husband Barry Horner, who was carnival chairman at the time of his death in 2000.
The couple, who ran the Lobster pub for 13 years, were both carnival committee members, with Barry making floats with themes ranging from Peter Pan and the Arabian Nights, to Lobster Pots and the Tulips of Amsterdam.
After his sudden death in April 2000, the carnival committee commissioned a special shield in his memory, which has been presented to the group demonstrating the 'spirit of carnival' ever since.
You may also want to watch:
'I have tried to judge the floats through Barry's eyes and, this year, the medical practice stood out,' Mrs White said. 'They had fun, authentic costumes and it was great to see that people who often have to deal with serious problems can have fun too.'
Practice manager Pauline Craske said the centre was 'thrilled to bits' to receive the shield, which will go on show in the reception area.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
'We have taken part in the carnival for the past three years as it is a way of getting involved in the community, so we are absolutely delighted to have won,' she added.