Seven-year-old girl who died after being pulled from swimming pool near Beccles was local
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
The seven-year-old girl who died after being pulled unconscious out of a swimming pool in Burgh St Peter was local to the area, police have today confirmed.
The Waveney River Centre swimming pool is still closed after the tragic death a seven-year-old girl.
The girl, who has not yet been named by police, died at the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston at about 4pm on Sunday, having been pulled unconscious from the water at noon.
She was at a private party in Eddies Pool at the holiday park in Burgh St Peter, and in a statement on its website, the Waveney River Centre said it was 'saddened' by the young girl's death.
The statement said: 'Obviously our thoughts are with the family and friends of the child involved. As a family business we are devastated by this tragedy.'
You may also want to watch:
Staff are said to be 'deeply shocked' by the incident, and it is not yet clear when the pool will be re-opened, with the statement adding that staff hoped guests would understand the decision.
The youngster showed signs of life after being pulled from the pool and the East Anglian Air Ambulance was called.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 6 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 9 Do you recognise this man?
- 10 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
A doctor and critical-care paramedic landed close to the holiday park and were the first medical team to arrive on the scene.
They treated the girl and then went with her to the James Paget in a road ambulance, where she later died.
A police investigation into the incident is under way and an inquest into the girl's death will be held.