Norfolk man’s seven at seventy marathon challenge
- Credit: Stewart South
When Stuart South turned 70, he set himself a challenge to run seven marathons in 12 months - now he needs just one more to complete it.
Mr South of Blackborough End, near King's Lynn, decided to run three 10K events, two half marathons and two full marathons to raise money for kidney research.
Since January, Mr South has completed them all except for the 26.2 miles of the Amsterdam Marathon which he runs on Sunday, October 21. Mr South said: 'I've achieved six medals this year and I just need one more for the set, and some more sponsorship, of course.'
In 1999 Mr South donated a kidney to his critically ill son Joel and his other son Oliver received a kidney transplant from a deceased donor in 2002, as the both suffer with familial nephritis, an inheritable form of kidney disease.
Since the transplant operations Mr South has already raised more than £17,000 for kidney research charities prior to this year.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'After everything our sons have gone through I have wanted to give something back. And while I still feel fit and able, I am giving it my best shot.'
According to Kidney Research UK, every year 64,000 people in the UK are being treated for end stage renal failure, and more than 5,000 people are waiting for a kidney transplant.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Cambridge students get Fakenham question wrong on University Challenge
So far this year Mr South has ran the Norwich Half Marathon in 2hrs 4mins 36secs, King's Lynn GEAR 10K in 55m 47s, Edinburgh Marathon in 4h 27m 8s, Marham 10K in 55m 14s, Bedford Half Marathon in 2h 0m 10s and Sandringham 10K in 52m 51s.
Not content with seven marathons, Mr South also set himself some additional seven themed challenges for this year of running seven 5K parkruns and 700 kilometres.
So far Mr South has raised £1,635 towards his target of £2,000 and he is most grateful to those people who have already supported him.
To donate visit www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com/StewartSouth