Footage of rough sleeper’s final movements before death being prepared ahead of inquest
- Credit: Submitted
CCTV footage showing the final movements of a homeless man before he was killed in Norwich is being prepared ahead of his inquest.
Sergiusz Meges, known as Sergio, was found dead in the St Stephen's underpass on June 10, 2015.
The 29-year-old's death was initially treated as unexplained.
But forensic inquiries revealed the Polish national had suffered fatal injuries to his spleen.
At a pre-inquest review held in Norwich on Monday, May 21, senior coroner for Norfolk Jacqueline Lake said CCTV footage was being prepared.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'We have footage of Mr Meges' movements before he went into the underpass and footage of the movements surrounding the underpass.'
'A shortened version is being prepared.'
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 8 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 9 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 10 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
She said the full inquest is scheduled for June 25.
A murder inquiry was launched by Norfolk Police into Mr Meges' death, which resulted in the arrest of two men from the Norwich area.
But no further action was taken against the pair.
In the summer of 2017, Detective Chief Inspector Marie James, from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) said there were currently no active lines of inquiry regarding the investigation.
But she insisted the case was still 'open' and urged anyone with any information that might 'develop the case further' to get in touch.
She added: 'It's one we really want to solve.
'He was vulnerable because he was homeless. If anyone has any information I would urge them to come forward.'
Norfolk Police confirmed on Monday that the case was still open.
Mr Meges was known to have had previous addresses in both Norwich and Thetford, but had been homeless in Norwich at the time of his death.
An inquest into Mr Meges's death was originally opened on July 13, 2015.
The medical cause of death was given as haemorrhaging and splenic lacerations.
A full hearing is due to take place on June 25 this year. It is listed to take two days.
• Anyone who could assist officers with inquiries into Mr Meges' death should call Norfolk Police on 101. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.