Hunstanton soap box derby postponed because of severe weather forecast
- Credit: Ian Burt
The Searles Soap Box Derby has been postponed until Sunday, September 30.
The event was set to draw thousands to the streets of Hunstanton this weekend, but the expected severe weather has forced a change of plans.
Roger Partridge, activities coordinator for the Hunstanton Heritage Gardens, said: 'We hoped we wouldn't have to postpone the event, but as the weather forecast has become worse and worse, the decision had to be made.
'The wind and rain will make it unsafe to run the actual races, and also to put up the temporary structures that would hold a lot of our entertainment.
'But the good news is, we're rescheduling everything for the week after. All the times previously announced will be exactly the same, just on Sunday, September 30 instead. We really hope that everyone who has planned to come along will join us on the new date, and make this the great event it deserves to be.'
You may also want to watch:
The day will begin at 10am as registration opens for the competitors. The fifty teams will have their karts inspected to ensure they meet the race rules: a great chance for spectators to take a look at the magnificently-decorated karts and choose a favourite to cheer on!
Then at noon, the races begin. Each of the fifty teams will get two timed runs down the course, which begins in Boston Square Gardens, takes a 90-degree right turn at 'Crazy Corner' into Cliff Parade, and then finishes at the mini-roundabout at the bottom of the hill.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 6 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 7 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 8 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 9 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
The teams will be competing in age categories of under-13, under-16, adult, and veteran. The fastest team in each category will be presented with their trophies on stage on The Green at 4:45pm.
To accommodate the event, road closures will be in place on September 30 from 7am to 7pm in Boston Square and Cliff Parade. There will also be no parking in those roads from 12.01am to 7pm.