Seagull Youth Theatre set to soar once more in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
A youth theatre is being relaunched in Lowestoft this week – after a break of more than eight years.
Children aged five to 12 are being invited to attend a free taster session on Wednesday as the Seagull Theatre in Pakefield reopens its popular youth theatre.
Having helped set Lowestoft actor Reece Ritchie on the path to stardom, the Seagull Youth Theatre also boasts writer/director John Hales – who went on to manage the Seagull – among its former pupils.
Tutors Will Isgrove and Ed Mascon will be running the new youth theatre, along with administrators Angela Freakley and Karen Read.
Mrs Freakley said: 'When the council owned the Seagull Theatre they ran a very successful youth theatre for children aged from nine upwards. It ran for many years, starting in the late 1960s right up until the closure in 2006.
You may also want to watch:
'John Hales joined the group to gain confidence when he was about seven years old, and eventually took on the role of leader for three years from 1994 to 1997. He talks of these days with great fondness.'
She said that as well as Mr Hales and Mr Ritchie, many other ex-pupils had gone on to work in the acting and theatre profession, including Michelle Long, Jonny Goddard and the technical and operations manager at the Marina Theatre, Karl Dunnett.
- 1 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 2 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 3 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 4 Long delays due to overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 5 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 6 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 7 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 8 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 9 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 10 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
She added: 'We are reopening the Seagull Youth Theatre with a free taster session on Wednesday.'
The theatre plans to run sessions for two age groups on Wednesdays – one from 5-6pm for children aged between five and eight, and one from 6.15pm to 7.15pm for nine to 12-year-olds.
'Hopefully, once these get established we will offer an older age group for 13-year-olds upwards, which will become the Junior Rep Company and will then filter into the Seagull Rep Company,' Mrs Freakley said.
'It will run as an 11-week term and the pupils will have the chance to work on drama, dance, musical theatre, scriptwork and improvisations and the technical side of theatre.'
For information on fees, booking a place, joining the taster session or if you want more details, call the Seagull Theatre on 01502 589726.
? Have you got a Lowestoft story? Email your details to email@example.com
Pictures show: Reece Ritchie and, right, John Hales in a Seagull Theatre production of Rat in the Skull. And Reece Ritchie in the big-budget summer 2014 movie release Hercules.
Pictures: Submitted and PA.