Scouts from across Lowestoft lap up soapbox racing
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters from all seven Scout groups in the Lowestoft district put soapbox karts that they had hand built through their paces at a thrilling race meeting.
For the second year in succession, the soapbox races were held at the Ellough Park Raceway near Beccles – but this time there were some changes to make the races more interesting.
The event was organised by Assistant District Commissioner for Scouts, Mark Hansen. He said: 'We based the event loosely on formula one car racing – so each kart driver and their two pushers firstly had to complete a qualifying time-trial over two laps to decide their grid position for the race proper.
'Then, for the actual Soapbox Derby, they had to complete three shortened laps of the karting circuit with each team having to change drivers after each lap.'
All the teams completed the course and in a close finish the winners were 4th Lowestoft, who were just followed over the finish line by 14th Lowestoft with 1st Blundeston in third place.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 5 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 6 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 7 A47 opens 18 hours after HGV overturns in crash with car
- 8 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 9 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 10 Flying Scotsman visit to Mid Norfolk Railway confirmed