Scottow, Erpingham, Marsham and Spixworth cycle speedway teams invited to North Walsham event to meet former Norwich Stars Speedway champs
Speedway fans from the past have been invited to roar up for a charity event in north Norfolk next month.
The Classic Cars and Bikes afternoon, at North Walsham's Orchard Gardens pub, will include guest appearances by some of the top names from the former Norwich Stars motorcycle and Scottow cycle speedway teams.
And organiser Alan Rose is urging anyone who belonged to village cycle speedway teams in the 1950s and 1960s to turn up too, for a mardle and to admire the bikes and memorabilia on show.
Former stars at the event will include Trevor Hedge, who reached the final of the Speedway World Championship in 1970 and won the London Riders' Championship in 1969 and 1970.
Mr Hedge, 67, began his riding career as a teenage member of Scottow cycle speedway, using land near the former Three Horseshoes pub.
You may also want to watch:
'Cycle speedway used to be a big attraction - like skateboarding is today,' said Mr Rose. 'As well as Scottow, there were also village teams at Erpingham, Spixworth and Marsham and it would be good to see any of the people from those places too.
The event will be held at the Mundesley Road pub on Sunday August 5 from noon to 5pm. Admission is free. Other attractions include a human fruit machine, stalls, a barbecue, raffle and two vintage tractors. There will also be a competition to guess the height of Mick Starling's microlight as he overflies the pub and North Walsham local historian Mike Ling will have some of his photo collection on display.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 'Pray for Paul today' - wife's plea as gallbladder op victim faces surgery
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
Members of 1st North Walsham Scouts will be helping run the event and proceeds will go towards their new headquarters appeal.
Visitors are asked to park their vehicles in the town.