Runner prepares for 10k challenge in memory of parents lost to cancer
- Credit: Archant
With this year's Run Norwich 10k just weeks away, 2017's 6,000 runners are training - and fundraising - hard.
One runner, Laura Reeve, is taking on the Run Norwich challenge in memory of her Mum and Dad and to raise funds for Big C, one of Run Norwich 2017's four charities.
The charity helped support Laura when her parents were unwell. She lost her father, Peter, in 2014, after his fight with asbestos-related cancer, and her mum, Shirley, survived uterine cancer in 2006, before passing away due to a heart attack.
Laura said: 'I always knew that there was someone there if I needed them, so I really appreciate the work that the Big C does.
'I know first-hand how essential that can be to people. I always had a positive experience of the Big C Centre – it's such an excellent resource to help you when you need it the most, not just for cancer patients but for their family too.'
You may also want to watch:
Laura has since trained as a counsellor and volunteers at The Big C.
She said: 'I hope that I can make both Mum and Dad proud by taking part in Run Norwich for Team Big C and I hope that I can raise plenty of cash to help others who may not be so fortunate as me'.
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 5 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 6 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 7 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 8 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 9 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 10 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
Clive Evans, director of income generation and communications at The Big C, said: 'Laura's story really highlights why Run Norwich is a fantastic event to get involved in; as a runner, or volunteer.
'We are thrilled to be one of this year's chosen official charities for the event and the money raised will make a significant difference to those in our community who have a cancer diagnosis and those close to them.'