Rowers show their skills at dragon boat festival
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Hundreds of spectators turned out to support the exhilarating annual charity East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival.
Held on Sunday (May 22), the event saw 18 crews from local businesses compete in Chinese dragon boats over a 200m course at Nicholas Everitt Park, Oulton Broad, to raise funds for East Coast Hospice.
Festival director, Merklyn Hauck, said: 'It has been a fantastic day, the sun has come out which has encouraged even more people than last year to come along.'
The festival, supported by the Eastern Daily Press and Lowestoft Journal, saw great displays of friendly competition; while fairground games and rides offered further entertainment for those not competing.
Chris Gulliver, 36, managing director at Netmatters, said: 'This is a great event and lots of our families have come along to support us, so it really brings the community together.'
You may also want to watch:
'It has been great seeing the public having fun and we are so grateful to all those participating in the teams.
'We will be here again next year and look forward to it, Gable do a fantastic job at running these events and we are incredibly thankful to them for doing so,' added Jeff Wood, Community Fundraiser for East Coast Hospice.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 5 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 10 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
Final standings saw reigning champions Netmatters retain their crown as fastest overall team.
Meanwhile in the mixed crew race RS Scan Lab, finished in first place and two teams from John G Plummers & Associates were joint winners of the best dressed crews.
An approximate total for funds raised on the day stands at £5,000 with more still to be counted.