Rodent star of The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time gets a city tour before curtain-up at Norwich Theatre Royal
- Credit: Archant
With his pink ears, whiskers and long tail to boot, Toby the rat makes for an unusual co-star.
But Scottish actor Scott Reid professes affection for the white rodent, who 'plays' the pet of his character Christopher in The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time.
Mr Reid took Toby on a round of Norwich's city centre ahead of the show's run at Theatre Royal.
Mr Reid said: 'I guess it's the definition of working live, sharing the stage with a rat! But it's been great, they're really well trained and really well kept.
'He was so well-behaved when we took him out in Norwich today.
You may also want to watch:
'He just sits on my shoulder and soaks in all the new smells and the hustle and bustle outside. I think it's as exciting for him as it is for me.'
Mr Reid said the rat was actually one of two in the National Theatre troupe which is touring with the show across the country.
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 3 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 4 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 5 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 6 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 7 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 8 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 9 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 10 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
The award-winning play, which is based on a 2003 novel by Mark Haddon, follows Christopher's investigations into the death of his neighbour's dog, and the story is brought to life through depictions of what is going on in Christopher's brilliant, but unconventional, mind.
Mr Reid said: 'He goes on a journey to find out who killed it, and he uncovers a lot of secrets – family secrets, community secrets – and he ends up embarking on this epic journey to London.'
The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time starts in Norwich tonight (Monday, August 29) and runs to September 2.