Tesco shopper ‘horrified’ by insect-infested rice
- Credit: PA
A customer got a shock when he opened a bag of rice bought from a nearby Tesco store and found it crawling with insects.
Mark Fuller, 29, from Horstead, bought it from Tesco Extra in Sprowston around two weeks ago.
He stored it in his cupboard until Halloween, when his fiancée decided to pour it into one of their glass storage jars as Mr Fuller was preparing a rice-based meal.
Mr Fuller said: 'When she opened the new bag and started pouring it I was horrified to see the rice crawling with these bug or fly-type insects. It was quite shocking to see.'
A Tesco spokesman said: 'We have extremely high standards for the products we put on our shelves and have comprehensive checks in place to prevent this kind of thing from happening. We have apologised to Mark and are investigating how this may have happened with our supplier.'
Mr Fuller said there was no way the insects could have got into the rice from anywhere else.
He was refunded and is waiting to hear the outcome of Tesco's investigation.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 4 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 5 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 6 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 8 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 9 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
- 10 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend