Tesco shopper ‘horrified’ by insect-infested rice
- Credit: PA
A customer got a shock when he opened a bag of rice bought from a nearby Tesco store and found it crawling with insects.
Mark Fuller, 29, from Horstead, bought it from Tesco Extra in Sprowston around two weeks ago.
He stored it in his cupboard until Halloween, when his fiancée decided to pour it into one of their glass storage jars as Mr Fuller was preparing a rice-based meal.
Mr Fuller said: 'When she opened the new bag and started pouring it I was horrified to see the rice crawling with these bug or fly-type insects. It was quite shocking to see.'
A Tesco spokesman said: 'We have extremely high standards for the products we put on our shelves and have comprehensive checks in place to prevent this kind of thing from happening. We have apologised to Mark and are investigating how this may have happened with our supplier.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Fuller said there was no way the insects could have got into the rice from anywhere else.
He was refunded and is waiting to hear the outcome of Tesco's investigation.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 4 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 5 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 6 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 7 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
- 8 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 9 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
- 10 Owners of popular street food van open café bistro in Norwich