Response to devastating Great Yarmouth fire delights councillor
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
A week on from the devastating fire which left a community in shock, the people of Great Yarmouth have shown their resilience.
A blaze ripped through the Great Yarmouth indoor market and Regent bowling alley in Regent Road last Friday, destroying both facilities.
After a week of clearing up the site, the safety fencing around the site has now been pushed back and tourists can walk the full width of the busy shopping street again.
Penny Carpenter, deputy leader of Great Yarmouth Borough Council, said she was absolutely delighted at how people had rallied together since the fire. Speaking about the Great Yarmouth Inferno Appeal, a collaboration between the Norfolk Community Foundation, the EDP and the Great Yarmouth Mercury, she said it had been a resounding success after it was announced that fund raisers were almost half way towards their target.
'I'm absolutely delighted. We are a very strong community in Great Yarmouth – whatever the people who say the town is not a nice place think.'
You may also want to watch:
Great Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis said: 'It is good to see such community spirit looking to support those affected by the fire. I hope the money can go to support the staff who work at the affected businesses and who will be hard hit until businesses can get trading again.
'I have met with the owner as well as council this week and everyone is working to find the best venue or venues to see the traders having the chance to be trading again ASAP.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 10 Drivers facing long delays on A146 due to roadworks
'Again Great Yarmouth has shown its resolute spirit to keep going and welcoming visitors to our wide range of fantastic attractions across the borough in this summer season.'
Do you have memories of the indoor market or Regent bowling alley? Email words and pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org