Recipe: Broad bean burgers with aubergine jam and halloumi
- Credit: Archant
Make our bright green, herbal broad bean burgers this National Vegetarian Week
From late May until about September time, there's one thing for certain in my life. And that's that, at least once a week, I'll find a carrier bag dangling from my front door, filled with vegetables from dad's allotment (delivered covertly by bike).
At first there are long, thick stems of scarlet rhubarb - the last of which has been transformed into a crumble infused with liquorice. Then come bunches of pencil-thin asparagus (which thankfully the kids don't like). And, as we come into late May/early June there are monster-sized parcels of broad beans, grubby with soil and bursting with green pearls.
We all like a broad bean in our house – even though they are one of the most annoying veg to prepare. All that podding, then de-shelling! However, there's only so much enthusiasm my kids can muster up when at dinner time, once again, beans are on the side of whatever we're having.
So, when we're done with broad bean risotto, pilaf, stir fries et al, in come these bright green burgers. They're herby, light, sweet and savoury at once, and served with a slab of crisped halloumi, are one of the most satisfying veggie dinners you can imagine.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 9 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 10 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
Broad bean burgers with grilled halloumi and sticky aubergine jam
For the aubergine jam: 2 aubergines finely chopped, 6 cloves garlic finely slices, 4tbsps brown sugar, 4tbsps vinegar, ¼ to ½ red chilli, oil for frying
For the burgers: 500g shelled broad beans, 2tsps baking powder, 1 slice white bread, 1 egg, 1 clove garlic, handful each parsley and coriander, 1tbsp fresh mint, 3tsp toasted cumin seeds, 1/2tsp sea salt
To serve: burger buns, halloumi and green salad
Fry the garlic for the aubergine jam in a little oil until soft but not coloured. Add the rest of the aubergine ingredients and cook on high heat for about five minutes.
Turn down to a low heat, cover and cook for one hour, stirring regularly. Set aside.
For the burgers, place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Shape into four burgers. Drizzle a baking tray with oil and put the burgers on top. Drizzle the top with a bit more oil and grill until golden. Turn and repeat on the other side. Grill the halloumi until golden. Serve the burgers in buns with the aubergine jam, halloumi and salad.