Driver cleared of dangerous driving in crash which killed two people

The A134 road in Alpheton as it approaches a bend.

The A134 at Alpheton, where Rebecca Beswick was involved in a crash which killed Bruno Delmonte and Regina Brook. - Credit: Google

A driver has been cleared of causing the death of a man and a woman by dangerous driving it was agreed the head-on collision was caused by a “momentary period of careless driving.”

Rebecca Beswick had pleaded not guilty to causing the deaths of 69-year-old Bruno Delmonte from Great Henny and his front seat passenger, 79-year-old Regina Brook, known as Gina, from Bures Hamlet, following an accident on the A134 at Alpheton in August 2018.

Beswick’s trial got underway at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday and the jury was due to hear evidence from accident investigation experts for the prosecution and defence on Tuesday.

However, after discussions between the experts, prosecution counsel, Gareth Hughes, said they agreed the collision was caused by a “momentary period of careless driving” rather than dangerous driving.

Mr Hughes offered no further evidence on the two charges of causing death by dangerous driving and Judge Emma Peters directed the jury to return not guilty verdicts.

The court has heard that 39-year-old Beswick, of Old Croxton Road, Thetford, had already pleaded guilty to two less serious charges of causing death by careless driving.

Judge Peters adjourned sentence on Beswick until January 20 for a pre-sentence report and medical reports.

Ipswich Crown Court.

Ipswich Crown Court. - Credit: Archant

The court had heard that Mr Delmonte, who was driving a BMW325i, and his passenger, suffered “catastrophic” injuries after a Mini Cooper driven by Beswick veered into their path as she drove out of a bend.

Most Read

Mr Delmonte died from his injuries the following day after being taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge and Gina Brook was declared dead at the scene.

Beswick was also injured and was subsequently diagnosed with traumatic amnesia which meant she had no memory of the accident or events leading up  to it.

The court heard there were no calls or texts to Beswick's phone at around the time of the crash which could have distracted her and neither vehicle had been speeding. 

Both cars had been checked and no mechanical defects that could have caused the collision had been found and the weather on the day had been fine and dry.

Mr Hughes said the speed limit on the road was 60mph and following the collision the speedometer on the Mini was stuck at 60mph which was consistent with the level of damage and distance travelled by both cars.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter