‘Not all disabilities are obvious’
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press, Archant
One reader was 'disgusted' about how one lady was treated recently because her disability is not physically obvious.
I read the report of the lady who was 'barricaded' in the special needs toilets in Chapelfield shopping centre and I was disgusted by the behaviour of the two men who were in wheelchairs and prevented her from leaving the toilet and subjected her to abuse.
Sadly, this ignorance of different forms of 'disabilities' is all too common.
MORE: Norwich mother was 'barricaded' in disabled toilets by two men in wheelchairsJust because there is no physical and obvious disability does not mean that a person should have access to these toilets.
These could include, people with bowel issues who need privacy, people with stoma bags or have to self-catheterise who also need privacy and perhaps additional room to manoeuvre. People with hip problems may also need access to a toilet with a seat higher than those in the general toilet areas.
I fall into two of these categories and I will continue to use such facilities. I carry a card and a 'radar' key which indicate the reasons for my using these toilets. I have a valid reason to use the facilities just as this lady did.
You may also want to watch:
It's a great shame that people don't have the courtesy simply to speak to any toilet user, if they feel the need and discover the real reason for the toilet being used. We should never jump to conclusions simply because there is no obvious or physical disability.
Perhaps this letter might make people think a little and have a little more consideration for others.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: Norwich City Council LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 5 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 6 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 7 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 8 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 9 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 10 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl