Rare dolphin found dead at Great Yarmouth had swallowed rubber glove
- Credit: Archant
A dolphin that was the first of its kind washed up in the southern North Sea since the 1960s had swallowed part of a rubber glove, a post-mortem examination has found.
The Risso's dolphin was found dead on Great Yarmouth's South Beach on Saturday May 12.
The carcass was recovered by the Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP), which carried out tests.
Rob Deaville, who dissected the juvenile male, said it was thin and showed no evidence of feeding, adding that it was the 'most significant factor' in its death.
He called the presence of the thumb of a rubber glove in the stomach 'interesting but incidental'.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Deaville, a marine biologist and project manager of UK CSIP, said: 'At the moment the poor nutritional condition is the most significant factor. It's lost a lot of muscle mass. It's actually pretty thin.'
CSIP said the Risso's was the first stranded in the southern North Sea since one was found in Kent in 1963.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Banham Zoo welcomes birth of two tiger cubs
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?