Rare original Humpty toy is up for auction
- Credit: Archant
One of the few original Humpty Dumpty toys which starred in the hit BBC children's television show Play School is today expected to fetch somewhere between £4,000 and £6,000 at auction.
The item could be one of only three of the much sought-after toys that were ever made, with one already having been sold for £6,250 at a toy auction in May.
TW Gaze, which is hosting the sale at Diss Auction Rooms today, said the toy characters from the show – which ran between 1964 to 1988 – had become even more popular among nostalgia hunters following the 50th anniversary of its inception.
'The favourite and most distinguished of all was Humpty, a plush version of the nursery rhyme character Humpty Dumpty,' a spokesman said.
'In reality the actual number of original Humptys seems unknown, with estimates ranging from three to 20, some of which are quoted as being secured in BBC vaults.
You may also want to watch:
'However, whatever the truth, it is agreed there were only a limited number made.'
The item on sale today became available after its current owner obtained it as a gift for his three-year-old daughter at the end of the run of programmes from Play School's reprographic department manager.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 5 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 6 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 7 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 8 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 9 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 10 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market
Are you putting a rare toy or unusual item up for auction? Email email@example.com