QD Stores coming back to Lowestoft with new store in Commercial Road
Discount retailer QD Stores is returning to Lowestoft, with the opening of a new store on the town's Commercial Road, creating 20 new jobs.
The official opening of the 10,000 sq ft store will take place on Wednesday, November 1, when the deputy mayor of Lowestoft, Cllr Peter Knight, will cut the ceremonial ribbon at 9am to mark the start of trading.
Three staff are moving from elsewhere in the QD Group, three former employees have been recruited to re-join the business while QD has been actively recruiting a further 14 new local staff to join the team in a variety of positions.
Sited on Commercial Road, close to the railway station, the store will occupy the former Poundland premises and includes 120 car parking spaces.
Nick Rubins, QD Stores Group CEO, said: 'We are delighted to be coming back to Lowestoft. We were bitterly disappointed to have to close our previous store on London Road North last year, having had stores in the town since 1989, and have been seeking a suitable new property ever since.
You may also want to watch:
'So now we're back in a fantastic store in a superb location. We are taking on local staff and welcoming back three former employees from the old store.'
Manager at the new store is Sandy Circuitt who said: 'I am very excited about opening the new Lowestoft store and to be back in the town. Come in and say hello!'
- 1 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 2 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 3 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 5 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 6 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 7 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 8 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 9 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 10 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
Social media users took to Facebook to express their reaction to the news of the store opening.
Sally Ann called the return of QD 'good news', whilst Louise Connellan commented that its reintroduction to Lowestoft looks 'great in principle' but added that 'several other discount stores have been on this site and not lasted.'
Dale Gibbons said: 'Maybe if the rent in the town centre wasn't so high they wouldn't have left in the first place.'
Meanwhile, a fun weekend of activities is being laid on for Saturday and Sunday, November 4 and 5 at the store when there will be free face painting, children's entertainment and a visit by Minions characters, along with special guests from the Fritton Owl Sanctuary. The store is also holding a prize draw to win £150 in QD gift vouchers.