Pupil critical after collapsing in pool
A 13-year-old pupil at the Sacred Heart Convent School, Swaffham, is critically ill in hospital after collapsing in the school swimming pool.She was rescued by a PE teacher who immediately noticed she was in difficulties and pulled the girl out of the water.
A 13-year-old pupil at the Sacred Heart Convent School, Swaffham, is critically ill in hospital after collapsing in the school swimming pool.
She was rescued by a PE teacher who immediately noticed she was in difficulties and pulled the girl out of the water.
She stopped breathing and was resuscitated by the teacher while an ambulance was called and her parents were alerted.
A community paramedic - based at the ambulance station a few yards away -was first on the scene within a couple of minutes, closely followed by another paramedic and the air ambulance.
The girl was taken by land ambulance to Queen Elizabeth Hospital and was resuscitated at the scene and then en route to the accident and emergency department.
The air ambulance, which was alerted just before midday, landed in the school playing field close to the swimming pool and flew her parents, who arrived at the poolside within a few minutes, to the hospital.
- 1 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 4 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 5 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 6 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 7 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 8 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 9 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 10 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
Ambulance spokesman Matthew Ware said that the girl's condition was "critical".
Deputy head teacher Diana Wynter, obviously upset, issued a statement saying: "This morning a group of pupils went up to the swimming pool with a PE mistress.
"While swimming one pupil collapsed and the paramedics were called. Staff treated the pupil until the emergency services arrived and the girl was taken to hospital."
Miss Wynter added: "The pupil is seriously ill and the staff and pupils of the school are all very anxious for her and her family".
She said she did not wish to add to the statement at this stage.
A police spokesman said: "We can confirm that we were called to an incident at the Sacred Heart Convent School in Swaffham at around 1pm today where a 13-year-old girl got into difficulties in a swimming pool
"She was taken to hospital for treatment. The Health and Safety Executive have been informed and are monitoring the situation."
Prayers for the 13-year-old and her family are to be said tomorrow during the school assembly.