Prosecution a possibility over the death of Great Yarmouth boxer Kuba Moczyk during his first bout

Kuba Moczyk, 22. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

Kuba Moczyk, 22. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk - Credit: Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

A prosecution is being considered by health and safety officers over the death of a Great Yarmouth boxer who was knocked unconscious during his first-ever fight.

Kuba Moczyk. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

Kuba Moczyk. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk - Credit: Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

Jakub Moczyk, 22, known to his friends and family as Kuba, was knocked out by a single punch during the final round of his debut bout at the Atlantis Arena on November 19. The fight had been organised by an external party.

A post mortem revealed he had died as the result of a traumatic brain injury.

At a pre-inquest review into the death, Great Yarmouth Borough Council revealed it was considering conducting an interview under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act to see whether a prosecution should be brought under health and safety legislation.

Sarah Flatman, commercial team manager at Great Yarmouth Borough Council, told Norfolk Coroner's Court it was continuing interviews with key witnesses in their investigation.

'Following that we will be looking at the evidence we have got,' she said. 'I will need to do a PACE interview, potentially. That is to establish some further information to see whether an offence has been committed under health and safety legislation.

'This is an unusual incident, and because it is a boxing match it is more difficult to interpret the legislation.'

Most Read

A full inquest has been provisionally set for June 19, with a time estimate of three days.

At the opening of the inquest in November, it emerged Mr Moczyk had donated his heart to help others.

Area coroner Yvonne Blake said at the time: 'Jakub was involved in a boxing event in the Tower Rooms in Great Yarmouth.

'He was hit by a punch that knocked him to the canvas.'

She said he was taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston and placed on life support, but was pronounced clinically dead on November 21.

'He has donated his heart to help others,' said Ms Blake.

His body was formally identified by his mother on November 22.

Mr Moczyk's twin sister Magdalena Moczyk had set up a GoFundMe page called Wake up Kuba in order to raise £20,000 for specialist treatment abroad.

She managed to raise more than £4,000 before he died surrounded by family.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter