Prince’s Trust course ‘helped me grow as a person’, says young participant
- Credit: Archant
It has helped them to build new skills and transform not only their own lives, but part of the community they live in.
And now young people who completed the Prince's Trust programme at West Suffolk College are looking to use their new-found skills in the future.
The group – which included Laura Robson, from Diss, and William Bloomfield, from Thetford – embarked on a 12-week course, including a week-long trip, working with adults with disabilities and fundraising.
They raised £330 from bag-packing at Tesco, baking and selling cakes and a raffle – which they used to help renovate the garden area at Glastonbury Court Day Centre Centre in Bury St Edmunds.
They created a vegetable patch, a flowerbed and painted the shed and the garden fences in bright colours.
You may also want to watch:
Team leader Jade Morton said two members of the group – aged between 16 and 24 – have now got jobs, two are starting college courses and one has an interview for an apprenticeship.
She said the course had given them a variety of skills, which built their confidence and helped them step into the world of work or back into education.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 5 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Woman who got stuck in marshes rescued by coastguards
- 8 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 9 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 10 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
Ms Robson said of her participation in the programme: 'The Prince's Trust course has helped me grow as a person.
'It's helped me figure out not only that I can do what I set out to do but it's also opened so many doors to other possibilities of jobs that I would like to do.'
The next Prince's Trust programme starts on September 25.
Taster days will take place on September 20 and 21 at West Suffolk College.
For more information contact 01284 713666 or email email@example.com