Potholes task force hits the road
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A task force is hitting the road to fill potholes caused by the winter cold snap.
Grahame Bygrave, Norfolk County Council's highway services manager, said: 'It's back to the day job for our hard-working gritting and snow plough crews who have already started work patching and repairing roads affected by the severe weather.
'Potholes are typically caused by the freeze/thaw action of water so it's unsurprising that we are receiving reports of issues from across the county after this cold snap.
'There are now 19 dedicated pothole repair and carriageway patching gangs at work, and later this week they should be joined by four velocity patcher gangs.'
Highways England maintains trunk roads including the A47 and A11.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said the A11 between Norwich and Attleborough southbound needed some patching repair work to the road surface before the snowfall.
He added: 'Work is taking place at Gorleston on the A47 to complete various works, including road surface repairs.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 3 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 7 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
'Some locations have an 'uneven road' warning sign in place where we are closely monitoring the road surface.'
Drivers also face three months of delays and diversions on one of the busiest approaches to Norwich.
Surveys around the A11/47 Thickthorn interchange began yesterday.
Highways England said the work would take around three months and allow for future improvement works.
Work occurring away from the road will take place between 7am and 6pm. Works on the road will generally occur overnight, with working hours from 8pm to 6am. Diversions will be in place.