POLL: Gorleston’s James Paget Hospital to become home to smoking shelters - what do you think?
Health bosses have announced they are planning to install controversial smoking shelters at the James Paget Hospital despite it being a smoke free site for more than seven years.
The trio of shelters are being built in a bid to stop people lighting up outside the Gorleston hospital's main entrance, a practice which continues to anger visitors.
Managers have said they are 'recognising the reality' of dealing with smokers by introducing the shelters, as previous attempts to move them off site 'doesn't work'.
But the plan has been slammed by a patient watchdog Norfolk Link, which said the hospital's move to accommodate smokers sends out the wrong message and wants the site to be smoke free.
And Unison, which represents thousands of NHS workers, thought health bosses had more opportunity to address the problem rather than just installing shelters.
You may also want to watch:
Jeff Keighley, Unison regional director, said: 'Three quarters of smokers want to quit when asked and I would expect this to be higher in health professionals and hospital workers.
'Therefore we would like to see a broader package which focuses on assisting smokers to quit and providing them with free Nicotine replacement, other medications and support to quit which has proved to be clinically effective and much cheaper.'
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 4 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 5 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 6 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 7 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 8 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 9 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
? What do you think of the decision to install shelters at the James Paget? Leave your comments below and vote in our online poll.