Police to interview motorhome driver involved in Littleport train crossing crash

The driver of a motorhome which collided with a train at a fenland level crossing will be interviewed by police officers this week.

The 71-year-old driver and his wife were heading towards Ely on the A10 when level crossing barriers at Littleport came down at around 4.40pm on Tuesday, July 5.

According to his family, the driver realised his brakes were not working and that he wouldn't be able to stop in time to avoid a collision. He then steered around a stationary car in front of him and on to the track before hitting a train which had just left the station.

British Transport Police have been investigating the incident and officers have examined CCTV footage from the scene taken by cameras at the crossing as well as collecting witness statements.

A spokesman also confirmed last night that the King's Lynn resident had voluntarily agreed to be interviewed by officers on Wednesday. His daughter Jo Rust has told the EDP she thinks her dad is a 'hero' after he avoided hitting the car in front and pushing it into the train.

You may also want to watch:

She added: 'The brakes failed and he had no choice. He wasn't overtaking or trying to jump the barriers to beat the train. My dad was a professional driver before he retired and is very experienced. It was his quick-thinking that saved the incident from being much worse than it was.'

The couple had been trapped in the motorhome for a long period and were released by emergency services.

Most Read

They were then both rushed to Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge. The driver suffered a compound fracture and has had surgery on his foot. His 67-year-old wife, who suffered a broken nose, broken fingers and cuts to her hand and arms, has had surgery to her hand. Neither wished to be named.

No one on the First Capital Connect train to King's Lynn from Cambridge was injured, although commuters faced long delays while investigations were carried out and wreckage removed. Shuttle buses were provided for passengers while the line was closed until late into the evening. Road diversions were set up to send vehicles around the crossing, which is protected by both alarms and automatic half-barriers when a train is passing.

The couple bought the motorhome several months ago and had been out several times with no problems.


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter