Police dish out fines to North Walsham rat-run motorists
Police are dishing out fines to motorists who use an access-only road in North Walsham as a rat run.
The North Walsham Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) has already issued seven fixed penalty notices and sent 205 advisory letters to drivers using Station Road as a short cut.
Officers are carrying out regular high-visibility patrols and clamping down on offenders after complaints and concerns from residents and parents of children taking part in nearby Millfield Primary School's Stamp Stanley walk-to-school scheme.
PCSO Adrian Tyler said: 'Station Road is an access-only route for residents and their visitors.
'We have already carried out traffic monitoring during different times of the day. We noted down 205 vehicles passing through without stopping over a five-and-a-half-hour period who were all sent letters making them aware of the restrictions in place.
'If anyone is caught contravening the restricted access more than once then they will look to receive a fixed penalty notice.
He added: 'It is hoped that this warning will educate drivers to obey the access only signs and fixed penalty tickets will be the last option'.
- 1 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 4 Sale of council farm as part of 4,000 homes plan sparks controversy
- 5 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 6 Roadworks planned in Norfolk for this week
- 7 Lorry crashes into ditch in village near Norwich
- 8 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 9 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 10 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
The SNT is currently working with Norfolk County Council's transport planning to assess the problem and identify any improvements that can be made.
For more information contact the North Walsham SNT on 0845 456 4567 or e-mail email@example.com