Police appeal after distraction burglary in Lowestoft
Police are renewing pleas for residents to be careful when dealing with callers to their homes after a distraction burglary incident at a home in Victoria Road on Friday, November 30.
The attempted burglary, which happened around 6pm, was reported to police yesterday.
A man – described as white, around 6ft tall, well built, in his late 30s to early 50s, with short fair hair, a reddish complexion and wearing a yellow fluorescent jacket – called at the home of a couple in their 60s claiming to work for Essex & Suffolk Water and asked to read their meter.
He gained entry to the property but when questioned as to why he needed to do it as they had just received the bill he made up an excuse, made a note of the meter reading on his hand and left the property.
Nothing appears to have been stolen but checks with the water company have revealed that he was not working for them.
You may also want to watch:
Police are urging residents to be cautious and not to let unsolicited callers into your home.
Please ask for identification and if in any doubt ask the caller to wait, close the door and check with the company concerned, using a number in the phone book or on a bill.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
If you suspect the caller is not genuine please call police, using 999 if necessary, as you may help prevent someone else from becoming a victim of a distraction burglar.
Anyone with information about the incident or the man involved is asked to call DC 157 Woodham at Lowestoft CID on 101.